Press release courtesy of Ballcorps
MADISON, Alabama – August 17, 2018 –– BallCorps, LLC, owner of the Southern League baseball franchise to be relocated from Mobile to Madison, Alabama for the 2020 season, has announced the five finalists in its Name the Team contest. The final five names were those receiving the highest number of votes from more than 15,000 online ballots cast for the top ten team names during the period between July 26 and August 16. All team names were nominated by residents of the TennesseeValley.
Working with Brandiose of San Diego, the Minor League Baseball industry’s premiere branding partner, the nominated names were selected based on uniqueness and how each name relates to the characteristics of Madison and surrounding communities. Most importantly, names were chosen to further BallCorps’ objective of providing affordable fun to families in North Alabama and southernTennessee.
The top five names in alphabetical order are:
• Comet Jockeys “Rocket City” was put on the map for itscutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is acelebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
• Moon Possums A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family - just like going to a ballgame!
• Space Chimps A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space.She is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
• ThunderSharks Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the ultra-strong,sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willingto attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
• Trash Pandas (Slang for raccoon) Our community is known for engineering, and no creaturein our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver – dedicated tothe challenge at hand – as our local raccoons!
The popularity of Minor League Baseball brands is best indicated by the amount of licensed merchandise worn by fans. At the top of the list in merchandise popularity in Minor League Baseball again this season are numerous Brandiose-branded teams including the El Paso Chihuahuas,Hartford Yard Goats, Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, Lehigh Valley IronPigs, New Orleans Baby Cakes,Reading Fightin Phils, Omaha Storm Chasers, and Frisco RoughRiders.
A new round of voting for the five finalists begins this morning at NorthAlabamaBaseball.com, and will extend through noon Labor Day, September 3.The final team name will be announced at a public event on September 5 at 6:00 pm at RocketRepublic Brewing Company (289 Production Ave, Madison, AL 35758). BallCorps’ Name theTeam Contest and unveiling event are sponsored by the Rocket Republic Brewing Company, Redstone Federal Credit Union and Re/Max Real Estate. Further support and consideration are being provided by WHNT-TV, Cumulus Media, Lamar Advertising Company and Buffalo Rock.