Girl gets 3rd degree burns from homemade 'slime'

I'm a Pintrest fanatic. As a matter of fact, you can trace a lot of my life events through my boards on the popular website.

From wedding planning to gorgeous dresses to nursery ideas to crock-pot meals they guarantee are simple and cheap lol.

Lately, I've been looking for fun things to do with Harrison. He's two and a half now and the list of things we can do together is quickly growing.

One item that has grown to fanatical popularity lately is homemade 'slime'.

There are slime shops, slime parties, videos just showing people playing with the slime.

As you can see in the above photo, it's easy to make. That's one of the appeals.

It just requires Elmer's Glue, Borax and a little water or food coloring.

Since Borax is a readily available household item, most people don't give it a second thought.

Truly, millions of people have made these recipes already with no ill effects. However, it IS still dangerous.

Borax is caustic and recently a girl got 2nd and third degree burns on her hands and wound up in the hospital because of homemade slime. 

Just because it seems safe doesn't mean it is. Parental guidance is imperative for this activity. Too much contact with the Borax itself seems to be the culprit. It would be very easy for a child to misuse the stuff or touch it or use too much.

If you wish to err on the side of caution (as I am going to do), you can always make this nifty stuff I learned about from Bill Nye.

It's a mix of cornstarch and a little water. Just mix until it is thick but not chalky.

It is squishy, messy and absolutely non-toxic. 

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

102.1 WDRM Β· Huntsville's #1 For New Country
Listen Now on iHeartRadio